Exhibitions Interns assist with the day-to-day work of planning and presenting exhibitions. They are flexible problem-solvers who are willing to take on diverse tasks, working both independently and with MOCA staff.
Assignments may include:
• Preparing for exhibitions including registration duties related to packing/unpacking and learning the inspection process, preparing scaled mock ups of works in exhibitions, taking field measurements of our exhibitions and spaces, and creating digital drawings for exhibitions.
• Working with models of the various spaces used to help plan exhibitions.
• Train and assist as needed with other tasks such as exhibitions equipment inventory and maintenance, exhibitions lighting, and other aspects of exhibition packing.
• Working directly with MOCA’s installation team to learn how to pack and crate works properly, learn interior painting and wall preparation skills, learn about the various materials used in Contemporary art and how to properly handle works of art, learn how to install various works of art, as well as the back of house operations.
The ideal intern:
• Background in studio art and familiar with contemporary art and materials.
• Computer literate with specific skills in Illustrator, In Design, Sketch Up, Photoshop, Word, Excel and Google docs. If you know some of these we can train on the others.
• Passionately detail-oriented or at minimum selectively retentive.
• A good listener and able to take direction.
• Basic knowledge of how to navigate your way around a wood shop.
• Experience with power and hand tools is helpful.
• Experience with Audio Visual equipment is a plus.
• Enthusiastic team member with plenty of creative ideas.
• Adept at multitasking, such as handling multiple extracurricular activities simultaneously.
• Fine Arts/Studio Arts -Sculpture, Painting, Media Arts, Printmaking or any other Fine Art majors
A few logistics:
Interns are expected to work 7-14 hours per week. During installation it would be highly beneficial to work consecutive days in order to gain a broader understanding of the entire cycle of how exhibitions are managed.
Ready to apply?
Submit the following to email@example.com. Use the subject line MOCA Exhibitions Internship.
Cover letter or cover email that lets your personality and style shine through. Internships are highly competitive and this is your chance to convince us of your awesomeness! Don’t be modest; tell us what you can offer and what you hope to gain. It wouldn’t hurt to mention a current or past MOCA exhibition or program that you attended, or perhaps a life-changing experience with art. And if you know someone who is associated with MOCA, tell us!
Resume or CV that highlights relevant education and experience and makes it obvious why you are the best possible candidate for this position.
References from employers or professors that tell us why they think you would be perfect for this internship.
A few more things to keep in mind:
• MOCA internships are unpaid but provide an exceptional opportunity to gain real work-world experience.
• MOCA internships are intended for college students, generally in their senior year or in grad school.
• Plan on working 8-16 hours per week with a schedule based on your availability.
• You should reside in the Cleveland area during your internship. We can’t help with relocation expenses.
• We encourage international applicants, however MOCA does not provide financial reimbursement or sponsorship for international visas.
• We want you to have the full experience so interns should expect to work in the office rather than at home.
• We will happily collaborate with your educational institution to give you academic credit for your experience.