WE ARE THE ARTSQUAD! MOCA Cleveland is a place where art lives. We work at MOCA Cleveland. We help put art in the galleries for you to see and learn about. The art we have at the Museum is new. Sometimes it doesn’t look like anything we’ve ever seen before! We want to understand the art at MOCA Cleveland. So, we work together to: LOOK. THINK. SHARE.
LOOK is the first and the most important thing we can do with the art. We take time to see all parts of the artwork. Colors, shapes, and lines are some things to find. Next, we THINK about what we have seen. What might those colors, shapes, and lines mean? Last, we SHARE, or talk together about what everyone sees and thinks about the art. We do these steps again and again until we understand the art.
- Look around your house or neighborhood, find a new artwork that you’d like to learn about.
- Spend 2 minutes looking at every part of the artwork.
- Name all of the parts you find, like “Blue line, rocky side, lots of dots."
- Make a story about the artwork using those parts. Be sure to have a beginning, middle and end.
- Tell the story to a family member and ask them to make one, too.
- Talk about how your stories are different.
- Do that again with the same artwork and see if you can find new things or make new stories.